Free School Meals
Free School Meals
Is my child entitled to free school meals?
Your child / children will be entitled to free school meals if you as the parent are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
• Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
• Income Support
• Child Tax Credit (but NOT receiving Working Tax Credit) – provided your annual income, assessed by the Inland Revenue, does not exceed £16,190 (Please note: this amount is subject to change in April every year)
• Employment Support Allowance (Income Related)
• Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you meet the criteria and would like to make an application to East Riding of Yorkshire Council please complete our online form, which can be accessed through the following link:-
Entitlement to free school meals is kept as confidential as possible. The Snaith School has a thumb print recognition system in place which does not identify to other pupils the fact that a child is receiving a free school meal.
The free school meal will remain in place for as long as your child continues to attend an East Riding of Yorkshire school and you continue to be entitled to one of the above qualifying benefits.
Remember - you must contact East Riding of Yorkshire Council's benefit section if your circumstances change and you are no longer in receipt of one of the benefits listed above.
How do I apply for free school meals?
There are several methods of applying for free school meals which are shown below:
1) If you meet the criteria and would like make an application please complete our online free school meals application form (opens in new window).
2) You can also telephone the East Riding of Yorkshire Council's Benefit section on (01482) 394799.
They will need the following information:
- Your Name
- Your Date of birth
- National Insurance Number (or registered asylum seekers number)
- Child's details – Name, date of birth and school
The benefits section will make automated checks to confirm your entitlement and tell you immediately if you qualify.
3) You can visit any East Riding of Yorkshire customer service centre for an application form.
Forms are also available to download at the Council's Free School Meals document download page.
Send the completed form to the benefits section at the following address:
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
PO Box 12
Or return the completed form to your local customer service centre or your child's school.